Monday, November 17, 2008

Ellipticals = A Chasing Of The Wind

If you have been reading my blog lately, then you know that I have been working out at least 4 days a week for a solid 2.5 months. My body has consequently been very angry at me for about 2 months. You would think it would celebrate my efforts to tone it up and make it run better, but there has been no celebration, only pain.

For the first 6-7 weeks I got into a consistent rhythm of 3 days of full cardio and 2 days of lifting with short bursts of cardio. I thought this would be a good system. A little over 50 % of my cardio workouts were spent on a treadmill and the rest was split between ellipticals, biking, and an arc trainer which is basically an elliptical stairmaster. After a few weeks, my knees were killing me. I’ve never had any problems with knee pains, and suddenly they we both causing me daily problems. I guess I’m getting old or something. I tried to look past it because I was progressing nicely. My times were getting faster and starting to look decent enough to say that I was in shape and I was losing about a pound a week. I wanted to be losing more than that, but I was simply unable to give up the foods I love for more weight loss. I cut out a bit of soda and had healthy lunches, but dinner was a different story, and weekends were just a mess. Despite all of that, I was fairly happy, except for my painful knees.

After complaining a little bit to Liz, she informed me that treadmills are normally bad on knees. I never knew. Despite the progress I was making, I knew I had to make a change. I kept the same schedule, but took out the treadmill and filled it with more time on the ellipticals. After about 3 weeks of non treadmill exercise, I am unhappy to say that I have been wasting my time. I try to work hard on these machines and keep my heart rate up, but the bottom line is: after 3 weeks I gained back most of the weight I had lost in the previous 7. How frustrating! Granted I had a couple of bad weekends of food in there, but not bad enough to make this much of a difference. Since nothing else has changed, I believe I can firmly say that ellipticals do not deliver anything near the same results as running on a treadmill. I really wish they did, because it doesn’t hurt as much and I rebound faster, but time on these machines has proved to be meaningless! Not only did I gain weight, but I am no where near as in shape as I was 3 weeks ago.

I have therefore decided to bear the knee pain and whatever else befalls me, and spend all of my cardio time on a treadmill. You may hear me by the end of this week from wherever you are wallowing and crying, but I think this is a necessary adjustment. I will update this in 2 weeks to see if my theory proved true and I get back down to where I weighed 3 weeks ago.

Wish me luck, and pray for my knees.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you take this lesson to heart if you start working out in a gym.

4 comments:

Keith said...

You posted this only like a half-hour ago! Haha, this may be some sort of record.

I'm digging the Ecclesiastes reference in the title, bro. That is a good book within the Good Book.

Also, Liz is right about the treadmills, but I wouldn't suggest the ellipticals. Ideally, you should find some dirt or even grass paths outside to run on. These are hard to find, but grass puts much less strain on the ol' joints.

Aside from that, just make sure you stretch and do some light resistance work now and then with your legs to try to prevent knee injury.

I'm definitely glad to hear there's another person out there who's working full time and still trying to make some consistently healthy choices. Godspeed Zackery!

Oh and one last thing: I hate to be *that* guy, but eating healthy has made a big difference for me. Particularly eating a really healthy breakfast in the morning. I alternate between regular omelettes and egg-white omelettes, and I eat some whole grains and fruit every morning. Seriously, when I'm eating a hearty breakfast I feel about twice as well as I do during times when I'm just scarfing down a bagel on the way out the door.

Keith said...

Just realized today that I posted here like I have some authority on running when I SUCK at it, and Liz's dad is some sort of superfreak-ish ultra runner.

To Liz and the rest of the Strayer clan: My apologies if I said something outlandish or just plain wrong.

Zackery David said...

Tis true my friend. Liz does know quite a bit about running.

I would love to run outside, but it is more time consuming and now it is getting too cold for me. I know there are some much more hardcore runners out there that are laughing at me for thinking it is too cold to run outside, but freezing and running is just not fun.

Liz said...

I'm glad that you've seen the error of your ways.

Post a Comment