Friday, August 8, 2008

The Sweet Sounds of Risk Management

I’ve been working at my current job for 5 full months now. I have had a great deal of different experiences and have learned a lot. I am happy to say that I’ve enjoyed my job and the company that I work for. I have also been fairly certain that people around here like me and are happy with the work I’ve done. This was recently confirmed when I was offered a new position. I really didn’t see it coming. I knew our treasurer was looking to hire someone new, but didn’t really find out what position she was hiring for. Then one day, she pulled me into her office, and offered me a new job. Apparently, my boss’s boss thought I could be a good fit for what she is looking for. Though I have no experience in that particular field, I know the company well and have a good understanding of our accounting.

After a little discussion of salary and title, I accepted the offer the next day. I am now the Risk Management Coordinator. What exactly does this mean? I’m not 100% sure. I know I will be doing a lot with our insurance policy and developing a return to work program. I also know I will be reviewing claims against us, and forecasting the amount of money we need to set aside for insurance and claims. It may sound a little dull, but I think it could be fun. My new boss seams great, it is definitely a step up, and I will probably spend more time talking to people instead of plugging away at a computer.

I am excited to learn something new and gain some additional responsibility. The new position is effective immediately, so wish me luck as I dive right in. Given the topic of my new position, I felt obliged to leave the reader with this memorable Seinfeld scene.

GEORGE: Alright. Listen, I gotta get some reading done. You mind if I do this here? I can't concentrate in my apartment.

JERRY: (checking out George's textbook) Risk management?

GEORGE: Yeah. Steinbrenner wants everyone in the front office to give a lecture in their area of business expertise.

JERRY: Well what makes them think you're a risk management expert?

GEORGE: I guess it's on my resume.

…………… Later in the episode.

GEORGE: I take an eye test; I flunk it, the next thing you know I am swinging to the sweet sounds of risk management.

0 comments:

Post a Comment