Saturday, August 2, 2008

In Waiting

I am writing this in an airport waiting for a flight to Nashville Tennessee. I figured this would be a good way to kill time until it was time to get seated. My flight today is on Southwest airlines. Now I haven’t flown many airlines in my time, but I think Southwest is alright. There is no assigned seating, you just get a boarding position based on when you arrived at the airport. I think this is a good system. If you are picky about having a window or aisle seat, you just have to get to the airport early. If you arrive late, you are assured to land yourself a middle seat between two people, but at least you get to choose the people to sit between. Last time I flew I was one of the late comers and had to sit in the middle, but I was lucky to find a seat between two relatively skinny individuals. The thing I find funny is the people that fly together, but still refuse to sit in a middle seat. I don’t blame them, but recently I sat myself down between a father and son. Neither of them wanted to have a middle seat, so they foolishly hoped no one would sit between them. I plunked myself down, and forced them to have very little conversation. Silly people. I get to board in the middle of the pack today; perhaps I’ll score a non middle seat.

The post was made in two sections 4 days apart. On that flight, I did not end up in a middle seat, but found an aisle seat along with 2 other people in my row. It was still cramped. I think they need to make these seats a little wider. I’m not huge by any means and my shoulders travel past both sides of the seats. Anyway, I am making the 2nd part of this post on the plane on my way back from Nashville. Normally my computer would be in the overhead bin, but I scored a window seat with no middle person, so I have my bag sitting on the middle seat. Though it makes me a little queasy, I love to look out the window of a plane and see all of the clouds beneath us. As a side note, I really like that this airline still serves peanuts on its flight.

There is surely a lot I could talk about in the post with all the work I’ve been doing lately and what not, but that would take up too much of this post and no one cares all that much. I’ll get to the goods… Liz and I found out we are having a boy!!! I am so excited! There was a good part of me that was hoping to have a boy. I also really want a girl some day, but hooray for the boy and the teaching him sports, and taking him on adventures, and all of that great father / son stuff. I can’t wait!! While I was in Tennessee Liz told me I should look for something to buy him. I got so excited about that idea. When I got there, I kept an eye out, but I was working 10 hour days and had 2 hour fancy dinners to attend that cut into any time to go shopping, plus I didn’t have my own car. When we were in the airport before coming home, I did take some time to look around the gift shops. I found some things, but they were really weird, or obscenely overpriced. There actually was a baby store, but they didn’t have any Nashville clothing, just animals and inappropriate sayings like “milkaholics anonymous” or “I love boobies”. I would never buy anything like that. I found some cute onesies that said “future country music star” and “little buckaroo” I liked those a lot, especially the buckaroo, but they were $30. I wouldn’t even spend that much for a sweatshirt for myself, let alone a small piece of fabric for the baby. Am I silly for thinking that is too much to spend on a baby outfit? I don’t know. Unfortunately, I am coming home empty handed.

I believe we are beginning our decent into Baltimore, so I am going to sign off. Thanks for reading.

1 comments:

Sean McDermott said...

I love the idea of buying your son a gift before he is born! Congrats on your boy!

BTW- the trick with Southwest is to check in online 24 hours before you board!

Post a Comment