Friday, October 31, 2008

Just for Fun

For the past 2 months I have been working out at a gym 4-5 days a week. When I was just about to leave today, I had a peculiar thought and felt obliged to share with my reading community.

I work out at the same time each day, and there are some other people that work out at the same time I do, just as often. Here is the problem with that, I get there about the same time as 5-6 other guys and leave about the same time, and therefore change and shower around the same time. I find it very discontenting that I see the same guys naked on a daily basis. I really shouldn’t be seeing the same people naked day in and day out other than myself and my wife. Weird…. And gross.

That leads me to another point. Why do people like to make fun of the weight gain of pregnant women? I understand that it is very easy to do and often gets the cheap laugh. In fact, I’ve had to stop myself from doing it a time or 2, but what is there to really gain? Do people really think women appreciate or in some way actually find it funny that people make jokes at their expense… terrible.

I say this because I’ve seen it happen, but there is also a few wackos out there that like to make the cheap joke about a pregnant woman, and then move on to the husband. What are these people thinking??? “ha ha, which one of you is carrying the baby?” “Are you pregnant too?” Clearly I’m not, so you are just calling me fat, but think you can get away with it because you are near a pregnant woman. I bite my thumb at you! It has happened a couple times to me, but recently at a family event where an aunt that I only see once a year had the audacity to make one of these jokes. I responded with a joke, but was really tempted to hit her with a comeback. I’m a guy that appreciates awkward humor anyway, it would have been fun.

My immediate reaction that I was able to hold in was “no no, I’m not pregnant. I’ve actually lost about 8 pounds since my wife got pregnant. But thanks, I hate you too.”

I knew that would have been terrible, so was really tempted to come back with a joke about her age. Clearly women must enjoy jokes about their age as much as their weight. “I know I’ve gained a few pounds since the last time I saw you, but you have really aged in that time. I know it has only been a couple months, but it looks like it’s been years!” No doubt, she would have loved that.

My last response that honestly came to me in that situation, but I did not say: “I could see why it may look like I’m pregnant, cause... well… I ate a baby last night. Seriously, I think I have a problem… there may be a warrant out for my arrest.” If you don’t respond in anger and decide against jabbing back, you might as well get completely ridiculous. Maybe she’ll think I was telling the truth. She would never make fun of me again.

My last bit of fun is to share with you the pumpkin that I carved for Halloween. I must say, I am very proud of my work.


Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

Keith said...

Sweet to see you blogging more often, bro. We should catch up soon ... I would say in person, but student teaching is INSANE right now as I've taken over everything in my kindergarten classroom and I'm working my arse off. I love it though.

Would love to come out and visit, but we might have to wait until sometime in late November when things begin to taper back off ... I will start to give parts of the day back to my co-ops bit by bit.

Until then ... perhaps a phone call. Unless you use Skype, because videoconferencing is always fun.

Keith said...

Oh and holy crap man. I would be so pissed if someone said to me the things they've been saying to you, OR Liz. The next time someone jokes about her weight, you should say something about their terrible halitosis, lack of style, or general failing at life.

And you definitely should have gone with your first response. If I was there, I would have died laughing and clapping.

Liz said...

So Keith, are you saying that you have bad breath and suck at life?? Cause I remember a time when you went for that easy laugh my "friend".

Ali said...

Zack, I promise not to make any tasteless jokes this weekend, if you promise to bring Settlers of Catan. I'm red!

Keith said...

Hahaha Liz ... listen. I don't even recall what the situation was at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I deemed it too good to pass up, humor-wise, and hoped you'd understand. :-)

That being said, I apologize. I really don't want to everbe that guy, and you are beautiful. Also, I fear your husband's wrath, whether in his delightfully cutting retorts or otherwise.

Post a Comment