Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The A is for Abysmal

Well, today is the first day in a very long time that I have run out of things to do at work. I’m not really sure what to do with myself. I have no doubt that something will pop up at 4:00 and suddenly I’ll be working like a mad man and trying not to stay too late. But in case that doesn’t happen, perhaps I should go looking for some work. I’ll give it a little longer and see what else pops up. I do have a giant stack of papers on my desk of things that I didn’t know if I should throw away or not. I could make my way through and throw away or file. Cleaning up around the office is always a great way to seem busy and waste a lot of time.

This weekend is my family’s big golf tournament, followed by Liz’s family’s large get together. Anyone that knows me probably knows about the golf tournament. 80-85 people getting together at my family camp, and 72ish of us going out for a great round of golf at a surprisingly nice course. I have played very little golf in the last couple years. I love golf and wish I could get out more, but it just costs way too much money and takes up a little too much time. I did get to go out 2 weeks ago for the first time in 10 months to get a little practice. I was going to hit some balls before that round, but instead decided just to go for it. I think that worked out pretty well. It wasn’t the best, but I started to find my swing again about 2/3 of the way through. Unfortunately, despite the very little golf I have played, I will probably be an A player again this year. Everyone is ranked as an A, B, C, or D so the teams are close to even. The golfers are for the most part, not nearly as good as they used to be, so we are struggling for A players. Because of this struggle, the general mentality is “once an A, always an A.” I used to be a good A when I played on the school golf team, but that was along time and many terrible shots ago. About 3 years ago, I did win the tournament as an A that set my status in stone for a long time. Though the very next year, I got last place as an A with one of the worst scores in our tournament’s history.

Due to all of this pressure of being an A, it is clear that I need to prepare more for the event. So I did what any player would do, went out and bought Wii Tiger Woods Golf 2010. I have no doubt that I will be striking the ball like Tiger inside a couple days. Even if it doesn’t improve my game, and clearly it won’t, I think it was a good investment. I have been playing a little bit of Tiger Woods 2007 lately and actually really liked the game. The swing is no where near a real golf swing, but the game is a lot of fun. At the same time, Nintendo has released the Wii Motion Plus which is supposed to give you character a much more 1:1 movement ratio. I just bought the game on my lunch break and can’t wait to get home to play. They say it is much more like swinging a real club. I know that is not going to be true, but I think it will be a big step in the right direction. I’m pretty certain you can’t miss hit the ball. If you swing too slowly, you can hit really short, and you can miss hit puts, but I know you can’t miss swing and top the ball, or miss altogether. That would be cool. I do know you can fade or slice easily, and control much more short shots. Apparently there are a lot of added features to the game over the older versions that I am looking forward to. More modes and realistic tournament settings. There is online play to take on other people 1 on 1 or enter tournaments, and you best score is compared against others. I look forward to that. You can also play with real time weather. The wii looks up the weather conditions for the course you are playing, and if it is rainy or windy in real life, it is rainy or windy in the game. That is awesome. Now I really can’t wait to get home and play. I’m bound to be one of the best players at the Running Deer Lodge Open this weekend.

Thanks for reading.

1 comments:

Ali said...

Well, my attention was rapt until you started using phrases like "miss swing and top the ball." I do like that weather feature, although it's stuff like that that makes me think we're getting closer and closer to the events laid out in the Terminator films.

I was thinking about getting the Motion Plus, but then I realized it wouldn't help me for the chief thing I use my Wii for: playing Super Mario Brothers 3. Talk about losing your A game. I can't even remember where the green 1up mushrooms are hidden.

Good luck in your golf tournament and see you next week!

Post a Comment