Wednesday, February 3, 2010

U is for Utterly Unimportant

Do you find the word “utterly” weird?  I immediately picture a cow and think “oh yes, completely.”  But perhaps that is just me.  I have been sitting at my desk for the past couple work days occasionally thinking about what my U post should be.  I haven’t really had very much to write about and therefore decided to write about the reason I have nothing much to write about.  I have been unfortunately slipping back to that guy that started this blog.  That fraction of a man that for lack of a better term, sleep walks through life. 

There are a multitude of factors that add up to a state such as this, but the biggest is of course the job.  I have enjoyed this job for the most part.  I worked hard and my company really took care of me for the good work that I did.  But times have sadly changed.  With our restructuring and new management, I’m not nearly as involved as I used to be.  There were times where I would spend 60% of my day in meetings having meaningful discussion.  Now I just spend the vast majority of my day staring at my computer with little human contact.  I’m not saying all of this to complain at the world for my job.  I am very thankful that I have a job, but deep within me is a yearning for something more.  Something that greatly challenges me, and something that I care about.  I want this company to be successful and fight for it not to be taken advantage of by insurance companies, but I ultimately do not care for the product that we make or the long term goals of the company.  I don't feel that that work I am doing here is valuable or important.  I have therefore determined that I need to find something more suited for me.  I just have no idea what that is. 

I would appreciate feedback from my readers for any suggestions.  The bottom line is that I’m very good in finance.  That is where my experience lies, and I have a good financial mind and the capacity to build powerful models to forecast the financial future of a company.  I can’t totally change careers and expect to find a good job.  I have interests in recreation, but will doubtfully be hired for a recreation management position with no experience.  My primary thought is to find a job where my skills can be used for something that matches my interests.  That is proving to be somewhat challenging as I ultimately do not want a position where the majority of my time is spent crunching numbers on a computer.  I also really enjoy discussion, making decisions, and activities.  I recently applied for a director of finance position for a resort.  That is certainly along the right track, but I’m still a little under qualified for that position.  What else can I do? When I look back over the recent years and the things I get passionate about, the list is not very big.  I enjoy religious discussion where I have to do a lot of research and write a position paper with many references.  I thrive on activities where I organize a great weekend or play a sport or game.  I’ve also got addicted to many weird hobbies such as forging, building a cannon, parkour, and many other very sad ones that shouldn’t be mentioned.  I don’t know how that can be applicable to a job, but if it is, sign me up.

There have been a couple people recently suggest going to seminary and being a pastor.  There is a part of me interested, but I honestly do not know if that is where God is calling me.  I plan to spend the next 2 months thinking and praying about what I should do next, then going application crazy right after our China trip.  At this point in time I am fairly open to anywhere in the country that isn’t central PA or a major city.  If you have any thoughts, please share. 

Thank you.      

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ironically, I feel the same way about the "job". I wonder where our feelings are coming from on this? I've felt so strongly about working for something I don't care about, that it's made completely insane. Interesting. In my opinion and my experience you should figure out what you love to do the most and build a business out of it. You could do anything, but what will get you excited to actually get out of bed in the morning? I know where your views on recreation and religion are coming from and wouldn't it be amazing if you could put the two together? I could see you starting a "community" where families can come together and do resort-like activities, but also have discussion groups on different topics. This is very vague and resembles a lot of things that are currently out there, but I could picture great things (horseshoe pits, bbq's, baseball games, pool tables & dartbords...) Anyway...for what it's worth. I wish you luck in finding your happiness.
~Your anonymous sister

Unknown said...

I have to say, I think your anonymous sister knows you well. Almost as well as your best friends... Ok, well, maybe better than your friends, but still. I think she hit the nail on the head. My first piece of advice is going to be going into business for yourself.

Qualities that lead me to this conclusion are as follows:

1. You are a risk taker.
- Cannons, motorcycles, explosives, roasts?! etc.

2. You are an independent thinker.
- You don't really follow a norm... at all (good thing).

3. You are motivated.
- I've seen you go through a couple of jobs that were either terrible, just meh or even pretty good and you ALWAYS make the best of it.

4. You are intelligent.
- Like you said, you like to follow a path of logic and do research, so no matter what business you get into, you will be an expert on it before you even start.

4. You have a financial mind and background.
- This is less of a quality and more a resume piece, but it's something that obviously bodes well for running your own business and keeping your own books.

5. You are a compassionate Christian man.
- I know that this is the quality that is leading your other friends to suggest you go to seminary, however, I believe you can be (more often than not) a minister for the Lord in your workplace and "in the world." Keep doing what you're doing in this regard. There are so many success stories of motivated, Christian individuals starting a business and being blessed because of the ethical, moral and really lifestyle decisions that are made. It's a winning combination.

All in all, I think if anybody was going to step out on a limb, have faith in a calling and be successful in small business, it would be you. The possibilities are endless.

In regard to your anonymous sister's advice, I think a direction that combines what she has referred to is manager or caretaker of a camp ground. There are camps everywhere but I think you would most definitely need to be willing to move and take a pay cut to find an opening here. You will be a creative program planner, financier, minister, etc. Might be a good fit.

Anyway, I will pray for you that God gives you direction. I know you'll do great things no matter where God calls you.

Zackery David said...

Thank you both for your comments. Your thoughts really expanded my thinking for possibilities and future goals. I agree with you Justin that a pastor position might not be the right fit. In my last job search I was looking for a recreation management position to change my career path a bit because I would really enjoy that. Having little experience rules out just getting a position that would fit me well, and now I am dreaming of opening my own recreation and fitness center. That might just be my ultimate goal. Though that would unfortunately be down the road a bit since no bank would likely give me a million + $$ loan at this point in time. Having that kind of goal in mind will certainly narrow my job search to a financial position in the sport and recreation industry. Getting the right position now would be a great spring board for those future plans, and in the meantime I can start building the business plan. That is unless Justin saddles up and starts his own engineering company. I'm ready to jump on board as your financial officer my friend.

Post a Comment