Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Jabberwocky

There are a lot of things flying around in my head today. I’m pretty bored at work and feeling very tired and run down. Since this blog is conveniently titled nonsense from a bored man, I figured I could get away with throwing some things out there without making much sense. It is time for some old fashioned nonsense, jabberwocky, baloney, claptrap, or just plain gobbledygook.

First of all, I have wanted to make a political post for some time now. I have never taken interest in politics in my life, but figured I should give a go at it since the presidential election is afoot. I’ve tried to do some research on the 2 primary candidates, but always get much too tired / bored / lazy to really follow through with it. It seems we have to vote for either the young new guy screaming about change who may very well change our country to chaos, or the absurdly old guy that will keep things status quo (which most of us aren’t all that happy with) and will most likely keel over in office. It seems to me, and I admit I need to learn some more about these fellows, that we have the typical South Park-ese choice of a douche or a tird sandwich. I understand that I have the political IQ of a kindergartner, but I’m just calling it as I see it. Really what I am driving at is: where are the Jed Bartlets (West Wing) or David Palmers (24) of the world? I know these are fictional characters, but where are the strong leaders boiling over with integrity? Or the leaders that make such wise decisions you wonder if they asked God for wisdom instead of wealth and riches?

This past weekend marked the union of my good friend Justin Doty to his beautiful and well suited wife Megan. The wedding was nice and the reception was spectacular. I was blessed to be counted as one of his groomsmen and got to spend some quality time with him and some other close friends over the past few days. Honestly, Justin and I had a bit of a falling out in our friendship over the last 2 years or so. This was a result of a number of different factors that are meaningless to get into now. It was great to still be counted as a close friend, and the overwhelming thought in my mind by the time all of the set up and celebrating was over was sorrow for all of the foolishly wasted time during our friendship. I wish the best for them as they start out their lives together and this week as they enjoy their honeymoon in Jamaica. I hope that in the months and years to come that Liz and I have the opportunity to spend some time with them as good married couple friends.

The last thought I want to throw into this collaboration of twaddle is the rest of the weekend after the wedding. Liz and I have always been apt to invite people over to our house. I have always enjoyed entertaining guests and that has just increased greatly now that I can do that in my own home instead of my parents or my apartment shared with other guys. The Lord has richly blessed Liz and I with a nice home, cooking abilities, a wii, and the ability to show our friends and family a good time. I write this for two reasons: first to thank Keith for being a great guest, and to invite other people out there to come and visit. Following the wedding, some of us took a trip to G man to keep on celebrating. It isn’t my style to go out to a bar, but I figured “when in Rome.” We actually had a pretty good time and afterward Keith came to stay with Liz and I. We slept in on Sunday and then had some chores to take care of such as taking back tuxes and such. Afterward, Keith got wrapped into a puzzle that Liz was working on and decided to stick around for a while. We got into playing Wii and eventually they sucked me into helping with the puzzle. Before we realized it, it was 9:00 and I had a 10:30 hockey game. Liz asked Keith if he would like to join us for the game and give Liz some company. To our surprise, he quickly agreed and tagged along for the game. Through all of this fun, we were all fairly tired, and Liz started off early in the day trying to talk me into taking a personal day on Monday to rest and enjoy the day together. When the game ended at 11:30 I was convinced. We went home, and instead of going directly to bed we worked on the puzzle a little more and watched some Seinfeld until 2am or so.

The next day we drug ourselves out of bed at a decent time to try to get back on our normal schedules, and we started right back in on the puzzle and Seinfeld. Then I made some breakfast and we finished the 1000 piece puzzle and decided to play some more Wii. After all of this, we started discussing the possibility of going to see “Get Smart.” Needless to say, we ended up out to the movies, then back to pick out another puzzle and some more Wii. We played for a bit and Liz convinced Keith and I that we were too ridiculous to waste such a nice day inside, so we went for a walk. After the walk, we got hungry which afterward led to more Wii and puzzle. This eventually escalated to 10 pm where we realized that we were exhausted and both Keith and I had to work the next day. All good things had to come to an end, but honestly, what a great time and wonderful weekend. Keith, it was a delight to have you as our guest and you are welcome any time. Others that read our blog, you are slacking and know the door is always open.

Thank you for reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment