Thursday, September 4, 2008

Baaaaalooooogg

It appears that I have this web journal of sorts and said journal requires my attention. These things unfortunately do not update themselves, and in order to keep my audience captivated, I need to post more than once every 3 or 4 weeks. Bearing that in mind my dear reader, know that I really don’t have a lot to talk about. Life has jut been ticking by and I’ve been doing my thing. I have been really busy at work for the past few weeks which I am happy about. Being busy makes my days go faster and gives me a greater sense of accomplishment. However, the lack of posts has been a direct effect of that busyness. For a while there, I was in a consistent routine to go to work, come home and exercise, eat dinner, and watch the Olympics until I feel asleep. Then the Olympics were over and we filled some of that time with tv, or cleaning out the nursery. That has mostly been my life. Somewhere in there Keith came over for a weekend and we played a bunch of Rock Band, saw Tropic Thunder, and hung out at the Coliseum. There was also a 3 day weekend in Beaverdale hanging out with Liz’s family and playing golf.

A possible point of interest to add to this post is my consideration of joining a gym. I have not really found a consistent time at home to work out. There are other distractions and I want to spend time with Liz, so I end up not working out as much as I would like. A while back, I was running on my lunch break, but it was a struggle to get the work out in, get a shower, and make myself some lunch. It got even more challenging when Liz stopped working and I wanted to say hi to her and see how her day was going. Lunch break workout was too cumbersome, morning was miserable, and directly after work took up too much of my precious free time. I have therefore decided to switch back to the lunch break workout, but in a gym. That takes out any distractions at home, and I save time because I will pack my lunch in the morning and eat it while I am working after my lunch break. It may not be 100% optimal, but a 1hr lunch break is too much time to waste eating and sitting around doing nothing. I’ve decided to go to Planet Fitness because they have the best deal by far. $30 to sign up and $10 a month! That’s not bad at all. There is also no contract, so I can stop at any time. I checked out the place yesterday, and today will be my first day of exercising. Wish me luck.

Also, if you have any suggestions for a work out plan at a gym exercising 40 mins a day 5 days a week, let me know. I’ve been looking online, but haven’t found any specific plans that meet my needs. I don’t want to waste my time doing meaningless exercises that don’t really do me a lot of good. I want to make sure I am doing hard workouts to progress forward and get in shape. I know that will be a challenge with my time constraints, but it has to be possible. Thank you for any comments and suggestions.

1 comments:

Keith said...

Zack -- loving the fact that you're joining a gym, my man! I'm attempting tomorrow to start working out after student teaching. I felt it out and I think it will be manageable, and if I don't start soon I probably never will and will just get into a rut.

I would recommend googling "circuit workouts" and looking into those. You might already know something about them, but circuits combine weightlifting with cardio -- basically you do a bunch of lifts right in a row with no rest. I've experimented with them before, and you end your workout with a pounding heart and drenched in sweat. A good way to get a lot of intensity in, in a short amount of time.

If you feel compelled to run as well, you could do like a 15 or 20 minute circuit routine followed by a 20 minute or so run. Ideally though, you'd probably want to do at least two rotations through the circuit.

Just a thought my man. Good skills!

Post a Comment