Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Here Comes The Rain Again

You may not know this about me, but I absolutely adore times in my life where songs apply to my situation. Even in the bad times, if a song applies, I will embrace it and sing it at the top of my lungs and honestly feel better. You may remember my post “23 Syndrome” where I discussed the songs about people that were 23 years of age. A couple months before I turned 22, I couldn’t wait until I turned 23 and could sing those songs of personal significance. Every time I hear one of those songs now, I always turn up the volume and embrace it. When I turn 24, my excitement for these songs we most likely decrease.

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
wake me up when September ends

This song just has a good sound to it. I’ve always liked it, and like it even more in the month of September. Looking at the lyrics, it doesn’t really apply at all other than the fact that the current month is September. None the less, if I happen to hear that song this month, its go time for singing in the car.

Picking a favorite song is a really hard thing for just about anyone to do. Most people say it is too hard to pick, or revert to a lame answer like “it depends on my mood.” In an attempt to not be lame, I decided a couple years ago that my favorite song is “I’m Moving On” by Rascal Flatts. What can I say? I like everything about the song, including the sound of my voice singing it. Yes its true, we’ll deal with that issue at another time. Another reason I like the song is that it applies to my life only on occasion. It doesn’t often apply, but it doesn’t never apply. It applies occasionally at significant moments in my life like when I got a new job, moved on from a relationship, or relocated. Many of these moments were scary and full of emotion, and that song just gives me hope that I am doing the right thing and the change will be better for my life in the long run.

This brings me to my last point. I am happily married. I love my wife and kid (whoa) and celebrate just about everything about marriage. There is one thing that I realized a few months after getting married: All of those songs about heartbreak will probably never apply to me again. Granted, Liz and I could get into some kind of grand argument and those songs my quasi apply, but they should never fully apply again. Part of me is a little bummed out about that. It may be a little sick, but I really like some of those songs and they will never apply to my life in the foreseeable future. I know that heartbreak is a terrible feeling, and I would have never wished it on myself before marriage, but dang it, I really like when songs apply. I guess I’ll have to lean on the songs of joy and about having a family and what not, but I’d say a large % of the songs out there relate to heartbreak. Oh well.

Thanks for reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment