Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Salivate, Salivate….. Decision!



A few sad months ago, I broke my Zune. It was a very upsetting an emotional time for me because I loved that thing. It traveled with me every time I was in the car or a plane. It provided entertainment of tv shows and movies if I was waiting to meet someone, sleeping at someone else’s house, or performing a mindless process at work. And some time ago, the screen cracked. I’m not sure exactly how it happened. I got to work one morning, slid it into my pocket, walked upstairs and set it on my desk, and the next time I went to turn it on…. Cracked screen. I must have oddly bumped into something or crushed it against the arm of my chair when I set down. Either way, I no longer had a display. It could still play music when I was able to successfully navigate the menus, but no videos, and I couldn’t pick the songs.

I was an early adopter in the way of Zunes. Having never had a video mp3 player, I dove right in as soon as they came out. I had some problems in the beginning, some with the software, and some with the hardware. I even had to send it back once to get it replaced. But overall, I was happy with my device. When it broke I immediately wanted to replace it. I went back to the iPod vs Zune debates and tried to get talked into making a rash decision, but it didn’t work out. iPod still seems to be winning the debate, but I had heard some bad things about iTunes, and dang it, the zune is just cooler. For a moment there I thought about getting a new Zune, but I did have some problems and my old one just broke. This decision vexed me and I ended up not getting anything. I even went through the iPod store, picked the right one, and wrote out the engraving at least 3 times. It got to the checkout and I couldn’t pull the trigger. Eventually I gave up and decided I shouldn’t have one, after all quite the expense.

Time passed, and I made the life adjustments to non video mp3 player life. I would still take a look at them if I found myself in a store with some time to kill, but would just sigh and walk away. Toward the end of last week I decided to see what was new in the Zune world. I typed in some random search, and BAM! “Zune 3.0 software / firmware released today!” Apparently there were some significant changes to the previous versions and the Zune is even better than before. After reading the release notes of 3.0 and salivating a little, I found “zune 120 released.” Just a week before Microsoft came up with a Zune with 120 gigs of space for the same price as the iPod 80 gig. Now I didn’t really need that extra 40 gigs, but that got me to salivate even more. After reading some more notes and reviews, the decision was made. I shall no longer subject myself to a dull and dreary non video mp3 player life. I bought one the next day. Check this out.



Isn’t that just sexy? So much cooler than those apple doohickeys (except for iTouch). I know iPod just came out with their own 120 gig version to compete, but I just like this so much. Sleeker design, bigger screen, and apparently they greatly improved the wifi capability. It should be coming in the mail today or tomorrow, and I am ridiculously excited. Unfortunatly, I am worried about breaking a screen, so I went out and bought this guy.



This is a pretty nice looking leather case that is also quite fashionable. It is more like a nice man’s wallet than a goofy case. I am all sorts of excited and I can’t wait to find some good music and videos to fill this thing up with. I hear tell that it also has games now. All I have to do is get used to the goofy squircle.

1 comments:

Ali said...

Normally I would take any opportunity to knock Apple in favor of Microsoft, but I will say this: I have dropped my video iPod no less than six times; on concrete, on the road, last night I dropped it on my hardwood floor while walking to the dining room; the thing has never broken. It has never skipped a beat, the screen is intact, it is perfect. If the Zune is for those who like a sleek design, the iPod is for those of us with butterfingers. I am just too clumsy to ever abandon the iPod.

Post a Comment