Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Another Day of Surviving

The day I made my last post, I had only worked a small portion of my day and spent the rest participating in such thrilling events as playing with a ball and staring at a wall. It was sad to know that it wasn’t my most unproductive day, for it was merely foreshadowing today. For today, I…. Have…. Done…. NOTHING.

Let me back up a step and explain a simple truth about my job as a consultant. All of my time is spent working for other companies. I don’t make anything to sell to customers, I provide a service to clients. This service takes time out of my day and therefore it is best to charge these clients money for every hour I spend working to provide the service they require. Simply put, I sell my time to other companies. What does this mean? Time is very important! I must keep track of every minute of my day, so I know which minutes to charge to which clients. The more time I spend working for clients, the more money my company makes. Guess what??? Posting in my blog is not considered chargeable time, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

I keep a daily calendar next to me to keep track of my chargeable time which must be posted at the end of everyday. Today, my page is blank. I have had nothing to do, and can’t think of anything to do. I am back to playing with a ball and starring at the wall. I have also read some scripture and posted in my blog. I guess the day hasn’t been completely wasted. As you can see, I am clearly a bored man.

Question: What do you do when you have 8 hours of nothing to do, but are confined to a 3 walled cubical? People often walk by, so I can’t get away with playing a game.


For a while I filled my time creating really cool spreadsheets to keep track of things in my life such as my running times, personal finances, and poker statistics. I also created a sheet that counts down the years, months, days, hours, minutes, and seconds from now to a specific time in the future. It also counts up in the same way from a moment in the past. I enjoy plugging in the minute of my birth and watching my life tick away. That may seem a bit melancholy, but it is a visual representation of what my work life does to me. Sometimes it inspires me.

Why do I feel that I am merely surviving life? The simple answer is because days like today when I watch my life tick away because I have nothing to do at work. That certainly isn’t living life! To make the answer more complex and more justifiable, even when I have work to do, it is in no way fulfilling. Why is it not fulfilling??
1. Since I am always working for other companies, I feel no sense of dedication to my own.
2. I never complete an entire project, but work on a portion of it, so I feel little satisfaction in seeing a project completed.
3. I mostly work off of templates leaving little project creativity.
4. I do some crappy jobs that people above me pass off because they don’t want to do it.

Since I am not fulfilled in my job, I have little motivation to do my job. Most of the time, I do just enough work to get by without getting fired, this is reminiscent of my days of school. This is also the #1 reason why I am surviving life and not living life. It is clear that I need a solution to this. The good news is, I may have found one! Details of that will be provided in the next couple days.

2 comments:

Keith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keith said...

Whoops. Messed up the first time. I'm dying for the details dude! So much so, in fact, that I may just call you to find out!

I am computer-less for the next 2-3 weeks, so I'm trying to make a plan to occupy my time ... otherwise I'm certain to go off the deep end and probably wind up drinking my own urine.

Hope to read more posts ASAP!

P.S. When are you and Liz coming to visit???

Post a Comment