Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Careers... Who need them?

It is finally time to share some information about my career decisions. Since this job mostly sucks life out of me, I have been considering what career I would find to be fulfilling. It has been my dream for some time to open a large scale recreational facility and sports complex. Before I can do that, I should try to manage a similar facility, before I can do that, I need other management experience. My solution was to apply for Brunswick Bowling to be a general manager of a bowling center. Since I have bowling center experience, I thought this might work out. I’ve been having phone conversations with HR people and Regional Managers for the last 2 weeks. Alas, on Monday I had an interview in Baltimore with a Regional Manager and GM of a specific center. I nailed the interview, and it seems that Zackery is on his way to managing a bowling center! Or not. At the end of the interview, we were discussing the normal schedule of a bowling center GM. As many of you may know, a bowling alley is open 365 days a year. The problem with this fact…. Sundays. I told the interviewer that I may have a problem working Sundays and asked if that would be an issue. I would only have to work 1 Sunday a month, but it is corporate policy that every GM work 1 Sunday a month. NNNNNNNOOOOOOOO! The interview ended and he left me to think about whether I could work Sundays or not.

I immediately called Liz after the interview and told her to potential problem and discuss. One of the things I love about my wife is her ability to be blunt when she knows the truth about something. Some times it is a little harsh, but to get things through my thick skull, people need to be harsh. Instead saying to me “what do you think about having to work on the Sabbath” or gently slaying “it might not be a good idea” Liz went straight to “No, you can’t work there.” OUCH! It was hard, and I wanted to fight it, but alas, she is right, I shouldn’t work there. It took me 20-30 mins to calm down and think about it, but in the end, despite having higher pay and the hope of a job that I enjoy, God commands us to rest on the 7th day. To be honest, it felt like a burden at first, like I am being held back by God’s law, but he knows what is best, and it is obvious that I am not suited to work at a bowling alley. I’m thankful for my wife that won’t allow me to justify sin, I am confident that it will be better for me in my current position or somewhere else, I just have to figure out what that is.

Here is my biggest dilemma. Most recreational and entertainment facilities are open on Sundays. In today’s society, it is hard not to since a lot of family entertainment business is done on Sunday. What does that mean for my dream? Must I find a new dream because the nature of the industry? Or can I find companies along that path that won’t be open on Sundays. Another question: even if they don’t require me to work on Sundays, is it wrong to work for a company that demands other people to work on Sundays (ruling out industries that require Sunday work like dairy farms and hospitals)? I want some feedback on this one.

3 comments:

Keith said...

I myself take a somewhat different view regarding the Sabbath. I totally believe that God intends us to take one out of seven days to rest, but the mandate that it be Sunday is human-made and almost completely arbitrary. Therefore, I would say that you could work there, but you would need to take another day during the week as your Sabbath and focus chiefly on spending time with God on that day. This is why I believe, for instance, that Christian NFL players are not violating the word of God. They play their games on Sunday, and as long as they take a Sabbath on Saturday I believe they are fine.

HOWEVER, I do believe that there is importance in the fact that Sunday is the Church-established Sabbath, and for that reason I'm trying more and more to avoid encouraging business on Sundays (e.g. going to the grocery store, eating at a restaurant, renting a movie).

Anyhow that's my take.

I CANNOT FREAKING WAIT TO SEE YOU BRO!!

Keith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sean McDermott said...

I agree w/ Keith. My job requires me to work on Sundays, so I have to find that other time in the week to rest.

Post a Comment