Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Dream Worth 5 to 10

After a long post yesterday about my boring life, I feel the need to write about something more entertaining to keep the reader’s interest. I have a number of topics in mind, but I will only choose one for now. I need to pace my self a little bit with these blog posts.

Question: Have you ever realistically killed a person in a dream?

In reflecting on the memorable dreams in my life, people have been killed, but normally not by my hand. I’m only a witness to something bad happening, and not actually causing the death. There have been times I have slain in my dreams, but it is normally like a PG-13 action movie where you know the person died, but don’t really see any details.

My wife and I have been reading the book “Eragon” together. It has been an enjoyable activity, especially since I have never read a fiction book longer than a standard Goosebumps. I was reading to her before bed while we were camping in Ricketts Glen last weekend. In the chapter I was reading, Eragon was given a sword, and it was described in detail. Later that night, the sword appeared in my dream.

My companion and I are in some kind of Chinese Den when the enemy suddenly burst into our potion to engage in battle. There are ninjas and what not, and again, standard PG-13 action. When the fighting is over, the evil master walks in accompanied by this brute fellow that has obviously been trained to smash people since he was a boy. I find a quick exit, as I know I do not want to mess with this guy. He pursues me, and to my amazement, he is lightning fast! I have my sword, but it will probably stand no match to his hammer and shield. He is right on my heels and I realize that I am not going to get away. I decide to run backwards to continue my get away while fighting him off (ridiculous, I know). My feeble jabs of the sword are no match for his speed and the strength of his shield. In fact, the arrogant prick is laughing at me while we battle, for he knows as well as I that I am no match for him. Thankfully, two men appear who also have shields. They run into the street to assist me in battle. I duck to the side as the brute plows through the first guy like a linebacker charging through the defense. When he gets to the second guy, he knocks him over, but trips in the process. I am standing next to them with my sword and I’m about to run away when I realize he would probably catch me again, so I strike. This is not PG-13. It is as real as I could possibly imagine killing a man with a sword would be. I stab him in the back, just below the shoulder blades. I feel resistance from his skin and fat as the blade creates an indent in his back just before piecing. As I run him through, the blade moves easier than I expected, you can tell that it is well sharpened. The tip exits through his upper chest and even catches a bit of his chin. I leave the sword in, take a step back, and wake up.

There hasn’t been a day since that the feeling of killing that man hasn’t passed through my mind. I don’t expect to ever kill something with a sword, but if the event were to occur, I suspect that it would feel similar to that.

Have you ever had such a realistic moment in a dream of killing a person? Did the memory of that stay with you? Have you actually murdered a person with a sword? Does the feeling of running that person through stay with you?

2 comments:

Keith said...

"Have you actually murdered a person with a sword?"

Hahaha, I really doubt anyone is going to answer in the affirmative on that one!

I'm really terrible at remembering my dreams, though I do dream fairly often. I have definitely had dreams where I have killed people, but nothing even close to what you've discussed here. Probably more along the lines of what you said: "like a PG-13 action movie where you know the person died, but don’t really see any details."

My question is this: How did you feel after the dream? Was your heart beating fast, were you excited? Did you feel remorseful at all (I'm guessing not since the brute seemed to be clearly evil in your dream world)?

I've never stabbed any living thing in my life, and I can't even really recall the last time I cut myself, unless you count shaving. I can venture to imagine what it would feel like based on putting a knife through other objects, or from gutting fish and such, but really that's just conjecture. Have you ever stabbed anything? I'm guessing that since you've hunted, you have also perhaps skinned deer, which I have never done. I'm oddly curious about the feeling ... but let's face it, I'm basically completely nonviolent so I can't imagine I'll ever experience it.

Looking forward to hearing more from you dude!

Anonymous said...

I do have super realistic dreams, but i can't say that i've ever killed anyone in a dream. maybe this isn't the thing to say, (when has that ever stopped me) but sense most of us will never knonw what's it's like to kill someone let alone stabe them with a sword then why not dream about it??

-me

Post a Comment